Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

A mite tiny

Life is fascinating. The fact that we are built up of millions of cells, each having their own purpose and lifespan - and miraculously those cells are held together to form us … a unique individual, is magnificent. We in turn, are little planets that supply nourishment to a series of creatures most of which are not visible to the naked eye. One of the most intriguing is a tiny, thin creature that is called a follicle mite or Demodex follicarum. These often live at the base of our eyelashes. In measurements that we can understand this tiny mite is approximately one hundredth of an inch in length. It has a fierce mouth with needle sharp cutting devices and minute clasping claws. It uses its claws and mouth to bury itself deep inside a hair follicle and remains there its entire life for it can only move in one direction and that is forwards. It is, however, one of the most efficient creatures on the planet as it makes use of the entirety of its food supply (us) and has no need of an anus as it produces no waste. When it eventually dies it harmlessly dissolves and leaves the hair follicle remarkably clean. Not everyone will home this little creature and as yet it appears there is little knowledge on how it travels from one person to another … but if you do have them they are it is alleged, entirely harmless.

Follicle mites,; sometimes referred to as - eyelash mite or face mite - Demodex follicularum

Follicle mite,  Demodex follicarum

Face of a Follicle Mite

Head and legs of the Follicle mite, Demodex follicarum

8 comments:

Colleen from Tix-Comix said...

only the eyelashes? I have lots of hairs besides those ones!!!

Unknown said...

Colleen - They will crawl into any hair follicle and take their food, which is the waste that is produced from the follicle - but they are best known for living the eyelashes. You can, in fact, find them in any hair follicle especially on the face.

Sandi said...

that's pretty fascinating. I agree, it's so wild to think our bodies are host to so many different "creatures". It might freak some people out, but honestly I just think it's pretty neat. I can't see them, and they aren't bothering me. As long as it isn't a bad germ, then I'm ok with it. haha :)

Russ said...

All I know is they creep me out. Now I am examining all the hair I can find.

Ann said...

they may be completely harmless but I'm with Russ. Seeing them in those pictures gives me chills thinking of them possibly living on my hair follicles.

Nathan said...

After seeing that picture I have one question. Will I sleep tonight? Unlikely. lol

Serenity Plumblossom said...

I found the info facinating, but I reject the knowledge that I have mites on my eyes, as I find it makes them itch. :)

Helen said...

Harmless or not, big or small, I don't like anything that has no bone.