Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Wasp nest

We have had a long, long Winter and so it was no surprise that our little insect house looked a little battered and worn as it had battled through the Winter period. Now into the month of May, I needed to check the little wooden house out to see what if any maintenance would be required to make it usable to my six-legged friends. Disappointingly, the front door had snapped with the various frosts. I gently pulled down the little metal latches and prized down the front. To my surprise a tiny wasp nest was attached to the ceiling of the basement quarters. The nest was the new home of some German wasps, Latin name: Vespula germanica. This is the best wasp to have in the garden as it collects enormous amounts of insects to feed to its larvae and so is a highly valued predator. The wasp measures 18 mm and is easy to identify. To tell if you have this wasp in your garden – look at the wasp’s face from the front view and you will see three spots on its head.

Little Note: The Common Wasp is a little smaller almost measuring 17 mm in length. Identified by a curved ‘T’ shape or anchor when looking at it full-faced.

Insect house with tiny wasp nest in the basement

Adult wasp sleeping in bark with small nest in the background

Wasp nest and sleeping adult wasp

Adult wasp nestling under dry bark German wasp and small nest

6 comments:

Ann said...

I don't think I want to get close enough to one to look it in the face. :)

John | Daily Photo said...

I have a similar house to add to the garden when I get around to it. There are three compartments, for lacewings, ladybirds and solitary bees :-)

imelda said...

wow there is life amid the ruins

Webbielady said...

indeed the previous winter was longer and really consumed extra energy...

poor wasps, trying to survive...

American woman said...

Interesting wasp facts. I just found your site and I love it. I am a lover of nature also. Please check me out at www.americanwomansview.com. Check out the "photo page" to see our new arrivals.

OneDay said...

Oh No! That's a little scary. Were you stung?