Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Thumb sucking

Thumb sucking is probably the most addictive activity that a human being can ever have knowledge of. For babies who begin gleefully sucking their thumbs in protection of the womb it releases the wonderful uplifting chemicals within the brain. Infants and young children who carry on the carefree habit enjoy the comfort and the feeling of well being. Serotonin flowing to ease the stresses and worries and make the world a much brighter place.

Yet – thumb sucking is frowned upon when a child grows but perhaps it shouldn’t be. In fact, should more research be done to see whether this simple, free activity could be the answer to many adults who take masses of drugs to counteract stress. Many are advised to take 5-HTP Serotonin Tonic – Happy Days … perhaps all they need is to follow their childhood instinct.

 

 

Thumb sucking

10 comments:

JessQ said...

Yes, you are right my friend. Perhaps it is better that a scientific study of thumb sucking be made. To probe on whether it has a psychological effect on the person.

I used to discourage kids sucking their thumbs. I remember covering the thumb of my child with a piece of cloth so that he can't taste, whatever it is, the "juice" of his thumb.

Was I being unjust to him? Did I curtail his right?

Grampy said...

Maybe we should all try doing it again.Of course my wife would probably have me committed.

Grampy said...

I meant to tell you.I am on the lookout for Figgy Pudding.

Tammy said...

I was a thumb sucker till I was 5. I still remember how much I enjoyed it and how my mom would get mad at me when I did. I'm 46 now.

American Idiot said...

That was an interesting post. Is there actual scientific data that shows it releases specific chemicals into our body that will help relieve stress?

Thanks for sharing!

BK said...

With the H1N1 around, I'm not too sure if thumb sucking is advisable. But otherwise, it may just be the one thing we need to do to keep our stress in check. :)

Ish said...

When I was young I am a thumb sucker, maybe that's why my right thumb is longer than my left thumb, but not that freaky... ;)

Jan from BetterSpines said...

I was an avid thumb sucker, and mum says that's why I have a slight overbite! She painted my fingers with nasty stuff Oh wait - that was to stop me biting my nails! But I still remember the comfort of my thumb.

Grampy said...

I found Figgy Pudding.The recipe will be on Grampys blog on Thursday.Vintage Recipe day.

Resaca Rose said...

I've been trying to discourage my granddaughter from sucking her thumb. She is five and starting to develop a bucktoothed look. My kids weren't thumb suckers and I can't remember sucking mine either, although I probably did when I was little. Also, I think it's awfully germy. Yuck. LOL