Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Finger licking find

I discovered a shop today. It was situated in Kingfisher Shopping Centre, Redditch - between Julian Graves and Vit-a-Min and opposite to Peacocks. It was a beautiful, old fashioned sweet shop. Most of the sweets appeared to be in glass jars just as they used to be in corner sweet shops. Some of the sweets I must admit, I had never heard of like 'Jamaican Limes' but one caught my eye and brought a smile to my lips ... it was Kali in several colours bagged up and ready for eating.

One of my favourite sweets as a child, was Kali. It used to be sold mainly in yellow (which was the cheaper version) or rainbow ...

For those of you who have never had Kali ... it is a type of sherbet that is made the size of caster sugar crystals ... children would buy quite a lot for very little cost and it was served up in a cone white paper bag. You simply dipped your finger into the powdery crystals and sucked off the contents and it would last for hour after hour after hour. Never had so many children been so quiet for so long as when Kali was available ...

I haven't seen this sweet for years and thought that it was gone from the shops for good ...

Do they sell Kali anywhere else in the world? I wonder ... does anyone remember it or is it more common than I have been led to believe?

Little addition: Kali is pronounced ... kay-lie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the stuff you mean, but we used to call it by a different name. I don't recall what, though. is it the one that's basically sugar and citric acid?

BTW, Kali is the name of the Hindu goddess of death.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Solomon about the goddess name..

I never heard of before. I will check out Tesco. Will be hitting tomorrow morning to do some monthly shopping.

Liz said...

first time i've heard of kali but it sounds yummy.

cheers!

Matthew S. Urdan said...

Hey Kloggers, this is off topic, but cool. John at master Network's MLM & Internet Marketing Blog recognized me with a Top Dropper Award for my EntreCard drops on his site. He is now creating a list of EntreCard's all time top droppers, and everyone he recognizes is invited to submit their top droppers to the list. You are currently tied as my #1 dropper with 31 drops in 30 days, so I've submitted your blog to John's site for some link love. The link should be appearing soon at : http://becomeamlmrockstar.com/drop_award/ .

Thanks for being such a regular dropper on MTMD. I really appreciate it.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I have never heard of it but I would love to taste it! It sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

you have been awarded ;)

http://liz.mommyslittlecorner.com/2008/07/brillante-award.html

see yah ;)

Anonymous said...

No, I've not heard of, or seen Kali in Australia. Sherbet was a popular sweet of choice in my childhood too but not for the kids of today.

Aren't the childhood memories that become evoked with entering an old time store just wonderful.

Unknown said...

My cousin moved to Australia many years ago Megan ... he used to eat kali too. As it's not for sale there I shall have to tell him I have found some.

gLoR!e said...

i wanted to try..its yummy and new to me..:)

have a great day!:) tc muah..