Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

A rose, is a rose, is a rose?

A few years ago, I was walking around my mother-in-law's garden when I saw stretching across a large area of her hedge a beautiful single petal rose. I had never seen one before and asked where she had purchased it from. Well she said, "I saw this rose in a friend's garden and asked her the same thing and she laughed and replied this is a friendship rose ... and with that she broke a piece off, gave it to me and told me to put it a good six inches into the ground. If the rose grows from the cutting it is said that your friendship will last forever!"

My mother-in-law broke a piece off the rose and gave it to me ... "Now," she said "plant that cutting and our friendship will last forever, too!"

So ... I planted my 'friendship' rose and it has rambled and multiplied and produces bountiful blossoms every year and not only reminds me of my mother-in-law and the rest of my family but also of the saying 'a rose, is a rose, is a rose.'

Single petal rambling rose

7 comments:

Cassy said...

How special that your mother-in-law thought enough of you to give YOU a petal... special :)

SandraJ said...

I never heard of this before, but I will certainly be looking for one. It's a wonderful story.

Unknown said...

Lovely story. Lovely rose.

njemacreative said...

what a great story!

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

What a unique and beautiful story! I love all your outdoor photos. I want to come live in your backyard with the hedgehog!

Jemi said...

Such a beautiful flower ! Most of all, I love the story behind it. I will share this with my friends !

Anonymous said...

Lovely story. I have to admit that it is the first time I heard something like this. And kinda of amazing that the rose can grow that way. Can you give me a cutting too? ; )