Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

The first day of August

"A pinch and a punch it's the first of the month!" or if you are in need of good fortune "white rabbits!" ... today has been lovely. A real English summer's day. The sky has been a soft, powder blue with an occasional small cotton wool cloud. The air is sweet and fragrant from the lavender and phlox. At last there are a few insects whirring about. The little bee colony in my insect house has been particularly active. The larger bee appears to be in charge, shuffling in and out of the various bamboo canes. Other slightly smaller bees have been flying to and fro from the various flowers and back to the larger bee. The larger bee is now getting more protective of the insect house and at one point, whilst I was in the process of taking a picture of her (as I think that this bee is a female and possibly a queen), she flew out and proceeded to chase me around the garden. Her buzzing did not appear to get louder so although this appeared to be a warning she did not seem to be becoming too aggressive (I hope). post extra: day 17 after St Swithin's - perfect summer's day weather.

2 comments:

Alia said...

Can I say, you have a wonderful way with words. You really conjure the feeling of a British summer day. It was beautiful yesterday; it's about time after all the rain England has had. I haven't seen many bees around though, just a great influx of hover flies. Nice blog!

Unknown said...

Hi Alia
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I am new to blogging and juggling with a digital camera - but thankfully I seem to have been lucky on occasion at having it handy when there has been a picture to take.