Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Verrucas - Plantar warts

Verrucas or plantar warts have plagued people for years as being difficult to cure. They are the result of a virus known as the human papilloma virus which makes itself at home on any part of the bottom of the foot. Occasionally one may even occur between the toes but its favourite place to embed itself is often the heel. The skin here is thick and it can therefore implant itself quite deeply. Some verrucas can be painful as they usually develop a black core and a swelling often occurs around this.

There are several ways of dealing with verrucas - perhaps the most unusual I have ever heard about was disclosed on a BBC programme called 'Street Doctor.' One of the doctor's on this programme suggested the use of Duct tape. The foot should be washed and dried thoroughly before applying a small piece onto the verruca and leaving in place for a SIX days - (if the tape falls off during this period a fresh piece needs to be applied) the tape has to then be removed and the verruca soaked in warm water for five minutes then the rough skin surrounding the area has to be gently rubbed down with a pumice stone or emery board. The foot needs to be rested over night and should be allowed to have air get to it. The following day the process is then repeated for a further six days, and so on until the virus dies and the verruca goes away. On average most verrucas are cleared up within 28 days or really bad ones within two months using Duct tape. Studies are still going on to find out why! If you would like to read more then go to the Patient Uk website at: http://www.patient.co.uk

4 comments:

MamaFlo said...

I've had one and it was tough, real tough to get rid of, infact it lasted for almost 2 years and I thought I'd never get rid of it.
I used some over the counter medication for planters warts and it eventually went away with a dual treatment.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

That is really interesting. I have heard of using potatoes but this is certainly news.

Jackie said...

Wow this is really interesting and a very unusual use for duct tape.

Trust me being married to truck driver and being at home alone quite a bit....I have found duct tape to be very useful for many fixes.

But, this is a new one.

Great share thank you!!

LizzyT said...

It is amazing what you can learn from reading people's blogs. I certainly didn't know that about duct tape. Thanks very much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I will be continuing with it when I move. Through joining Etsy I have discovered other things I love doing, blogging being one of them.