Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Broom stale

As a young girl I can remember asking a lovely, elderly lady ‘How old is your broom?’ With a smile she replied ‘I have had this broom all of my married life.’

I remember wondering how was this possible – sweeping the kitchen, sweeping the steps and pathways – how could a broom last so long?

Of course, years ago people would rarely buy a new broom. Instead they would purchase a new head with sweet smelling bristles or a new stale to replace one that had snapped – and thus a broom would last forever.

Little note: a stale is a long wooden handle or stick that is attached to a tool.

I too have a very old broom!

1 comment:

Mike Golch said...

Thanks for the info.I just learned something new today.