Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Branching out

The other day I decided to go on a stroll that I hadn’t been on for several years. It’s amazing how hedgerows alter in time. Even some of the pathways that were once familiar to me had become overgrown in places. Others had been changed beyond recognition – either chopped right back or with new wooden bridges and gates added. My little walk became somewhat of a mystery tour as I wondered at my surroundings.

At the top of one of the more hilly pathways I came across some wild apple trees (Crabb apples). These were unusual in the fact that the apples on some of the branches were tiny being the size of cherries, whilst on other branches they were more or less full grown. Although not all apples grow at the same pace I have never seen apples on the same tree with such a wide difference in size until now.

Two sizes of Crabb apples on the same tree 

Crabb apple tree

Wild Crabb apple tree

Two sizes of Crabb apples on the same tree

1 comment:

Rose said...

That's really interesting. I love that you were aware enough of your surroundings to notice that. Although it might be a little late in the year for crabapples where I live, I'm definitely going to do some looking around and see if I can find different size crabapples on another tree. Perhaps they've always been that way, and I've just never noticed it.

Because I think you'll enjoy it, I wanted to suggest a site to you as a new read and a possible new addition to your Useful Websites if you like it. The site is called Random Facts and contains a ton of different fact lists about interesting topics. If you are interested, you can find it here: http://facts.randomhistory.com/

I'm one of the writers, so if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email: rbaron@randomhistory.com

Thanks,
Rose

P.S. Keep finding random nature quirks.