Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Musky moments

There is a lovely water plant that lives both on the banks of lakes and in the shallows of rivers that is a prolific flowerer. Over the years it came to be affectionately known as ‘monkey musk.’ If you peer into the flowers and half close your eyes the dark red spots that are lightly scattered over the bright yellow flowers take on the appearance of the eyes and nose of a monkey. Added to this the overall shape and you can make out the ears and the face line of a little monkey.

 Monkey musk

Monkey musk, Monkeyflower – Mimulus guttatus – perennial

Monkey musk - close-up of flowers

7 comments:

Ann said...

what a unique plant, very pretty

Ann said...

what a unique plant, very pretty

Brenda said...

That's a great flower! Thanks for sharing it - I've never seen it before.

YanniCreations said...

Hi, glad to be your newest follower. I found you on Entrecard.

Feel free to visit my blog too. I write about recycling things if you fancy those kinds of stuff.

Unique plant by the way. Love the photo.

Yanni,

http://www.etccraftetc.blogspot.com

carol said...

I always looooove yellow flowers! Where can I see these?

sharon said...

nice looking blog with beautiful plant.

L. Venkata Subramaniam said...

Yes I imagined and I see the monkey. Pretty neat!