Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Mouth ulcers - canker sores

In England they are called mouth ulcers but in some parts of the world they are known as canker sores - little white ulcers surrounded by red. There are various things that cause them and many concoctions to relieve them.

A while ago a friend told me that she had been troubled with them for years. Over the counter products simply didn't work for her so she had to visit the doctor - over and over and over again. No matter what she was given the ulcers were persistent. She had a chance conversation with an old friend and happened to mention them. To her surprise her old friend said "What toothpaste do you use?" She used several - all well known makes. "I know what the cause of your ulcers are." she was told - "It's the foaming agent in the toothpaste - use ones without foaming agents and they'll clear up."

It sounded too good to be true - but she began to read the labels and found ones without the foaming agents and the ulcers disappeared. She has not had a mouth ulcer since.

It makes you wonder what we are putting into our mouths - and how many of us have had these painful ulcers because of it!

~ Little note: mouth ulcers take longer to heal if the diet is short of vitamin B12 ~

11 comments:

MamaFlo said...

And that not everything that suppose to be good for us, is.
For me, I can directly associate canker sores with stress (not medically of course but I always look for association when something happens to me).

Anonymous said...

I have always heard the best way to get rid of them is to use buttermilk. Of course I haven't ever tried this since that's just nasty, but my MIL swears by it.

LadyJava said...

Oh wow.. very useful information.. never thought of that..I'll start checking my toothpaste label now :)

SheR. said...

I didn't know about this!!1 Thanks. I've been suffering from mouth ulcers for as long as I could remember!! And I hate them especially on my tongue!

DJ said...

Toothpaste, who would of known thanks for the info!

Henson Ray said...

Interesting. You'd think toothpastes are supposed to help you, NOT cause more problems. SHEESH!!!!

Wendy said...

Food allergies/sensitivities are another big culprit.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, it could be as simple as the toothpaste we use. I get these all the time and even if it isn't my toothpaste just knowing I should be aware of what I'm eating/drinking with might make the difference. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

my daughter often have this canker sores, i thought the reason why she's been having this is she's not been drinking enough water. thanks for sharing, i have to be careful in buying our toothpaste. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I was told lack of vitamin c was the cause of canker sores. I should know, I used to get them all the time.

Unknown said...

I realise that poor nutrition or being run down can cause mouth ulcers/canker sores but if your diet is good and you still get them, then it is worth looking at other things like toothpaste.