Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

MI Spy

Magnificent insect spied in the garden. It is the very first hover-fly that I have seen this year. It is to be seen throughout April and on until the end of October and so is a useful pollinator to late Spring and Summer crops.

Helophilus pendulus hover-fly 12mm April - October

Hover-fly Helophilus pendulus

Helophilus pendulus hover-fly - 12mm

9 comments:

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Beautiful fly! Do they bite?

Ann said...

very nice shots.

Unknown said...

Shark, they are lovely flies. No they do not bite. They stay in one position for a long time by a flower, rather like a hummingbird. There are many different species - many are thinner than this one and at least one resembles a bee. They are a joy to watch and appear to be endless in their energy as they zip through row after row of flowers.
Ann, thank you - I was lucky to catch this one taking a break otherwise the wings would have been a blur as they beat so quickly.

eastcoastlife said...

It belongs to the common fly family?
Surprising that it pollinates the flowers. :)

Russ said...

Great Pictures. I am not sure if the things we have here hoving around the flowers are bees or not.I guess I'll have to take a closer look. I usually stay clear of any bees or hornets. I have had bad experiences with both.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I have never seen such a thing! I love your nature shots!

Slappy Bear said...

I must say that's a very impressive shot, you're lucky they don't move that much or it may have flown before you could have got the chance to photograph it ;)

jeanlivingsimple said...

Wish we had this pretty and cool fly!

Interesting Foto said...

nice photo capture