Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Jungle jewel weaves magical tentacles creating a perfect paradise

I must admit that as the Spring rolled out in front of me I thought that I had lost all of last years’ perennial garden purchases including the Everlasting Sweet Pea or Perennial Sweet Pea as it is often called. It was late rising from the ground and despite searching and searching there was no sign of any green shoots in the place where I planted out my plants. Then one day I noticed a leaf and a tendril that was pea shaped. After just a few weeks more this wonderful plant surprised me with the speed that it grew. It hangs on the branches of the apple trees pushing itself higher and higher. I am so pleased that I have it in the garden. Its flowers are not strong in perfume, in fact, their scent is so mild that you need a good nose to find it. It rewards with so many stems, each holding perfect jewels and just two or three make an excellent posy.

Although it is known as a European plant its popularity has spread throughout many countries. It produces pods of seeds once the flowers are spent and I will be tempted to grow a few more of these beautiful plants. They are also known for occasionally self-seeding creating new plants around the original parent plant. Once the plants have established themselves it will also be possible to split them taking a portion from the root and making a new plant for another area of the garden.

Everlasting Sweet Pea - Perennial Sweet Pea - Lathyrus latifolius 2

Everlasting Sweet Pea - Perennial Sweet Pea - Lathyrus latifolius

 Everlasting Sweet Pea - Perennial Sweet Pea - Lathyrus latifolius

Everlasting Sweet Pea - Perennial Sweet Pea - Lathyrus latifolius 3

 Everlasting Sweet Pea - Perennial Sweet Pea - Lathyrus latifolius (this picture taken in the late evening)

No comments: