Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Save the planet and become a beekeeper

I add trees to my garden whenever I can. It is said that trees are the lungs of the planet and if we want to preserve any kind of life for our children’s children – then we must plant more and save ancient forests wherever possible. Added to the threat of damaged planet lungs we are now informed that bees are dying in their billions. As those of you who have visited my Blog before will know I have insect houses which initially attracted the lovely Leaf-cutter bees and now attract both Leaf-cutter and Mason bees. They are now regular yearly visitors. They make their nests, lay their eggs and their young hatch and busy themselves pollinating the flowers and plants in the local neighbourhood.

So now I am becoming a beekeeper. A beekeeper of the honey bee and after much research have decided upon the Buckfast honey bee. Although initially I thought there was almost a deluge of information about becoming a beekeeper I soon found out just how much I was really in the dark when it came to the ‘brass tacks’ of the matter. Everything I had seen suggested that I would have to suit and boot and look like someone working in a nuclear power plant but I have found that this is an over-reaction at least when keeping the Buckfast honey bee.

The main thing that required a fair bit of research was what type of hive to purchase. In the end and because I am not that good at woodwork, it seemed best to purchase a ready made one. A nice solid cedar hive will hopefully last quite a few years.

After yet more research I uncovered a secret on how to make the wood last longer .. the trick apparently is to rag the outside of the wood with Danish Oil. Allow the first coat to soak in then apply a second coat – this waterproofs the wood and protects it without encouraging wasps who rasp treated wood to make their paper nests with.

So here is a picture of the hive showing the few straggling bees left at the entrance – the remainder of about fifteen thousand or may be a little less are inside:

New hive - early days

 

From where I obtained my hive

*As you know I am not one for advertising, so this is I suppose rather more of a recommendation as I am so pleased with the received product: the above hive was beautifully made up and posted directly to my door from http://www.peak-hives.co.uk/

No comments: